photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

June 13, 2016

Burn by Paula Weston - End of an epic paranormal series

Burn (The Rephaim, #4)

Title: Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
Author: Paula Weston
Publisher: Random House Canada
Publication date: March 8th, 2016
Genre(s): YA/NA, Fantasy/Paranormal 
Source: Publisher
Pages: 448

Suddenly, Gaby remembers everything.

For a year she believed she was a backpacker chilling out in Pandanus Beach. Working at the library. Getting over the accident that killed her twin brother. Then Rafa came to find her and Gaby discovered her true identity as Gabe: one of the Rephaim. Over a hundred years old. Half angel, half human, all demon-smiting badass—and hopelessly attracted to the infuriating Rafa.

Now she knows who faked her memories, and how—and why it’s all hurtling towards a massive showdown between the forces of heaven and hell. More importantly, she remembers why she’s spent the last ten years wanting to seriously hurt Rafa.
 


The build up to this final book was amazing. If I could have binge read this series, I would have. This is coming from someone who rarely likes to binge read. Shimmer left off at the worst possible cliffhanger. The main protagonist, Gaby, finally remembers. All her lost memory comes back and we see how this has affected her but we don't know what are those memories. Then BAM, the book ends. So to say I was impatient to get Burn is an understatement. The beginning of Burn takes us down memory lane, we go back to when all the Rephaim were still together and Gaby was friends with Rafa and had her brother by her side. However things go very wrong (or good? depends on how you see it) and then Gaby is separated from her brother, and her relationship with Rafa got dramatically severed. Gaby finally remembers what caused this rift, the reason she went ten years without speaking to her brother. 

I loved the buildup, the reveal, the trip down memory lane.. but what I was slightly dissatisfied with is what that big reveal was... it felt a bit anti climatic in the sense that I didn't understand how it could have such a severe effect on everyone. However, bypassing my dissatisfaction, I loved the past chapters, and I grew to understand the old Gaby as well as appreciate Gaby's character. The big showdown with the angels was interesting, but it happened all the way at the end of the book that I felt I wasn't as invested anymore. Granted, the whole book and character relationship and friendship dynamic was very likeable, I just didn't enjoy the showdown as much. However, Paula Weston really knows how to hook the readers and even if I wasn't as excited, I needed to find out what happened and how everything will be resolved. I have to say, I am going to miss Gabe, the Rephaim world, and Rafa. It was a fantastic four book series that I will be recommended to any person interested in a paranormal book series. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed this finale! This series is one of my favorites, from start to finish, and I am going to miss dreaming about these characters and eagerly waiting for the next installment in their story. I hope Weston returns to this world soon, though! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete