photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

December 12, 2012

Review: The Blue Door by Christa Kinde

The Blue Door
Title: The Blue Door
Author: Eddie Jones
Publisher: Zonderkidz
Publication date: September 25, 2012
Genre(s): Middle Grade (Paranormal/Magic)
Source: Publisher
Format: Finished Copy
Pages: 256
The Blue Door, the first book in The Threshold Series, introduces Prissie Pomeroy, a teen who discovers she can see what others cannot: angels all around. Even more startling is the surprising secret she uncovers about people she thought she knew. As she wrestles with this unexpected ability she must come to grips with the spiritual battles surrounding her. Especially when she learns she received this gift because God has a unique role for her in his bigger plan. But if she's to fulfill it, she'll need faith like never before.This exciting debut by author Christa Kinde draws on the rapidly growing interest in angel stories, an emerging trend in teen and preteen supernatural novels. Boys and girls alike will appreciate her gifted storytelling that captures their imagination with things beyond human sight. And parents will appreciate the family-friendly tone and godly messages maintained throughout this intriguing tale of adventure and spiritual warfare.
This book was not a favorite of mine. It's about a girl named Priscella Pmoeroy. While walking through her garden, she meets a boy that only herself, her mailman named Milo and a bookstore owner named Harken can see. Upon learning this startling information, Milo reveals that they are all angels. Prissie is then thrown into a world of shock and chaos, trying to run away from what she is. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book and I couldn't even finish it.
For one thing, It felt like I was reading the Westing Game. I couldn't keep track of all the characters and the author used the words "him" and "her" when more than 2 people were talking or when 2 people of the same gender were talking to each other. It made me so mad! Second, I don't need to know every single thing that the characters did. If it doesn't help the plot move along, don't write it. I skimmed through a lot of the book and sometimes even skipped paragraphs because of the amount of detail in the book. I hate reading too much about what the characters do. Like I don't even want to know about their daily lives and just want to know about the most important things that happen and their relation to the story. Even though I didn't love this book, I hope you guys give it a chance. I might even try to finish it over the summer. Hopefully, I will be more mature (probably not:)) and will enjoy the book. 
I would recommend this book to 8-10 graders who love slower reads and have a lot of time on their hands. I hope anyone who reads this review will still give the book a chance, because everybody's different and some people might like this book. Alright fellow readers, TTYL!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a previous book I read and I didn't like it. I actually don't like the sound of this one, and I'm all for giving chances but slow reads never sit well with me. I hate starting a book and not finishing it, so I probably wont check this out.

    Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angel books are hit and miss for me as well. In fact, I just finished reading a couple this week that are pretty much on conflicting sides of the spectrum even though their plots are about the same. I hate when a book is over populated as well - hard to keep track of anyone...but that's just me though. :)

    Great review and thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, and I loved the cover too. Even the title intrigued me. Thanks for being honest and sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I thought this one had potential. Sorry you didn't care for it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry this disappointed you. I saw the cover and though this could be interesting, but I guess not. The blurb is similar to the book I recently read - A Shimmer of Angels. But I like it. Dunno why..but books about angels tend to disappoint. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a shame that you didn't like this! As a general rule, I try to avoid middle grade. It just isn't for me. Buteven if it were, I'd probably pass. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy at all.
    Great review, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, it's a shame you didn't like this. It does get confusing when there are too many characters so I get what you mean. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of angel books, and I'm not religious so the fact that the synopsis mentions the godly message the book has is a bit of a turn off for me too. I don't mind reading books with religion, but if they seem preachy I don't enjoy them. I also find over descriptiveness to be annoying so I would probably end up skimming over a lot of it. Thanks for the great and honest review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge middle grade reader, so I doubt this will work for me. Sorry it didn't quite do it for you! Great honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a shame, I really like the cover! But I guess I will skip it, because I don't like the things that bothered you :) I don't need endless descriptions when they don't make sense for the story.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete