photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

April 13, 2012

Review: Two Truths and a Lie by Sara Shepard - Juhina

Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
Title: Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game #3)
Author: Sara Shepard
Publication date: February 7th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre(s): Young Adult (Contemporary)
Challenges: Contemporary
Source: Own
Format: Ebook
Pages: 304
Sutton Mercer watches from the afterlife as her long-lost twin, Emma Paxton, takes over her identity to solve her murder. But after ruling out her early leads, Emma still hasn’t found Sutton’s killer. A lot of people wanted her dead—but one name keeps popping up: Thayer Vega. When the gorgeous and mysterious Thayer returns to town, Emma has to move fast to figure out whether he’s back for revenge…or if he already got it. 
I am a huge fan of murder mystery/ psychological thriller novels, and I have been a fan of this series ever since I picked up The Lying Game #1 back when it first came out. Sara Shepard knows how to create this creepy, mysterious environment where everyone becomes a suspect and the chase for the truth becomes more like a game of hide and seek. This is not a newsflash since Sara Shepard is already famous for her "Pretty Little Liars" series, and while I did not read the books, the show is one of my favorites! 
Now that I am done with my rambling, I'm going to try and review this book and try to be as unbiased as I can be (you'll find out why if you keep reading). I was super excited to finally get my hands on the third installment in this series. I actually jumped up and down from happiness! The story continues from where it left off at the end of book two. A new character, and suspect is introduced, and it is Thayer Vega. Thayer is Madeline's brother and his disappearance has always been a mystery to Emma, and his relationship with Sutton was always a target for gossip. The book begins with a new suspect and a new trail to follow to either prove he is the killer, or he is innocent. I had one problem with this book and it is that it was basically a carbon copy of book number two! In book number two it was the Twitter Twins, and in this book it is Thayer. I felt restless throughout the book, I knew that Thayer would be proven innocent because that is how the first and second books ended. 
The Lying Game book Cycle
New suspect -> investigations, following trails -> suspect proven innocent. 
To be honest I couldn't get past the repetitiveness of the book. The writing is superb and Sara Shepard is an amazing author but I can't help but wonder If this series would have been better off as a trilogy, or even a duo. Especially when it comes to murder mystery novels, there is a limit to how long an audience can wait, especially if nothing NEW ever really happens. Another problem I had was with the show The Lying Game. I am NOT a fan, and I felt that some of the negativity I feel for the show rubbed off on the books, which is why I tried erasing the show from my mind and just concentrate solely on my feelings about the book. While this review might not be all that positive, I must say that I did enjoy the book, it was a disappointment, but I always liked Sara Shepard's writing, I just wish she would end this series and begin a new one that is bound to be exciting! 
2 musical notes

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of too nervous to pick up this book. If it's anything like Gossip Girl, or the show Pretty Little Liars (sorry, but I really can't stand it), then I'll pass!

    I prefer a bit of roundness to the story if it's going to be psychological thriller.

    Enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the first two books but it's a shame to hear this one is a little repetitive of what happened in those two. I guess that can get boring to read especially if you know what to expect. Anyway thanks for the helpful review, Juhina! It's a shame this wasn't better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry this was a bit of a let down! I think I will give the series a try though. Thanks for the wonderful and honest review, Juhina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so scared to pick this one up! I've loved the first two, but the last PLL book (and The Lying Game show) has me nervous.

    Thanks for your review! I think I'll give it a try and just be cautious going in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read books like this. I am a fan now. Nice review, nice blog too.

    ReplyDelete